Today is COLD. I just got done running outside with one of my most favorite people, and my butt is still numb. I have never been a cold weather runner in my life…until this year, unless it’s on a treadmill in the warm inside air. And it’s only because now I have a buddy (sometimes buddies) to run with now who makes it completely enjoyable no matter what the temp is. Because we get to talk, and vent, and laugh, and basically have a mini therapy session before our day officially starts. And I feel super lucky to have people like this in my life…
But now, I’m onto coffee and getting my head in the game to work on some new recipes to share next week, and that schnitzel I’ve been dreaming about making again ever since my Molly on the Range cookbook came a few weeks ago and we made it for dinner. It’s honestly to die for…
Today, though, this lemon raspberry quick bread that reminds me of the freshness of spring. It’s got some majorly bright lemon flavors with pops of sweet and sour fresh raspberries, and then a simple and perfect crunch from the almonds and sugar sprinkled on top. I want to talk about the sugar for just a minute because I was really excited when I first found it. I’ve talked before about how I love everything Bob’s Red Mill and find it really hard to walk past the section of it at the store without finding something new to want to buy and bring home. Well, the last time I was at Meijer in the baking aisle picking up a new bag of coconut sugar, my eye was immediately drawn to a BRM bag of BIG sugar crystals. Like the kind that you would find on top of orange zest muffins or sugar cookies at bakeries. The kind that doesn’t dissolve immediately and keeps a crazy good crunch even when it’s baked.
It may seem silly, but things like this honestly make me want to do a happy dance like a kid on Christmas morning…
So, I obviously had to buy the bag and use it on top of this bread. ENJOY!
Lemon Raspberry Breakfast Bread with Toasted Almonds
- 1/2 cup Melt coconut butter (1 stick), or 1/2 cup unsalted butter (also 1 stick)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour, or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon large granule sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 bread pan with baking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on low speed, or alternatively in a large bowl using a hand mixer.
- Add in the eggs and lemon zest and continue mixing on medium speed until well incorporated.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed until combined. Pour in the lemon juice, vanilla, and milk, and mix on low speed until smooth.
- In a small bowl, gently toss the raspberries with 2 teaspoons of flour. Use a spatula to fold the berries into the bread batter and then pour into the prepared loaf pan. Evenly distribute the almonds and sugar over top of the batter and bake for 50-60 minutes until bread is golden brown on top and set in the center. Use a toothpick to test for doneness.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before removing from pan. ENJOY!!!