Short and sweet today, only because I need to be in earshot of any deliveries needing a signature that are on their way. Do you guys feel that exciting anticipation when you know that something you’ve been looking SO forward to getting, is going to show up on your doorstep??? I feel like a puppy wagging it’s tail when I hear that truck sloooooooooow down, and then stop right in front of the house. It just makes me want to jump up and down and give the UPS guy a great big hug when I open the door. I wonder how he’d feel about that. He seemed to really like the banana bread I gave him around the holidays….
Anyhow…let’s get this party started so we can all get going on the million and one things on our plate today! I know, I know…again with the Mexican food right? I promise, there’s more to it than that. This is a legitimate family recipe that I’m sharing today because Sophia gets over the moon excited to make it whenever she can, and I love it. She made a nice little bowl of it for our Mother’s Day BBQ over the weekend and is already talking about how she can’t wait to make it again for our Memorial Day weekend BBQ. Definitely her mother’s daughter…
This guac is super easy and the perfect addition to any main event, which today is the fresh tomato salsa board. I have some pretty serious salsa criteria and, to date, my hands-down salsa obsession is Mateo’s. I get 4 jars at a time at Costco just in case they stop selling it. It doesn’t matter how many are still on our storage rack, I always stock up with more. Because it’s an eat it with a spoon continuously obsession. It’s seriously THAT GOOD…
It’s salty and sweet and spicy, and it’s got this certain je nais se qua to it that I can’t quite put my finger on. I’ve been trying to recreate the flavors in that salsa for at LEAST a couple of years now. And I feel like I’m finally coming close so I’m really excited to share it with you. I love how deep red the tomatoes get as you cook down the salsa, and how all of the flavors come completely together without competition. It’s got me pretty excited about tomato season this summer and getting all those flavors jarred up and canned!
The bonus? How amazing do all of these things look on a BOARD?!? Have we agreed yet that boards are the new bowl?!? Or is that just in my head? Either way, this salsa recipe it KILLER, so get in there! ENJOY!
Fresh Tomato Salsa Board with Sophia's Guacamole
For the fresh salsa
- 3 pints sweet cherry tomatoes
- 1 small white onion, peeled
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed (some added to taste for heat)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- juice from half a lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
For Sophia's guacamole
- 3 avocados, pitted
- 1/2 cup diced sweet tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2-3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- juice from half a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
Tortilla chips for serving
- Place all ingredients for the salsa into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and process on high speed until pureed to desired consistency. Taste and season with salt.
- Place the salsa mixture into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool completely before serving.
- In a medium bowl, spoon the avocado out and gently fold in the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and Tabasco sauce. Squeeze in the lime juice and stir lightly to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set the salsa and guacamole out with tortilla chips and ENJOY!