Happy Tuesday!!! How was your weekend?!? Did you soak up the sunshine in all of its glory?!? Enjoy some outdoor time??? I must say, we did. I keep getting asked whether or not I’ve gotten my school supply/clothing shopping done for the kiddos yet and I’m all, ‘I’ve definitely thought about it from time to time, buuuuut nope’. We’ve just been doing every little thing that we can to take advantage of those last perfect beach days that make you wonder why you’d ever want to be anywhere else. I’ll get to it this week though….all in good time…
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you today because it is another one of my favorite things to make each August. This peach and blackberry breakfast cake combines two of the most flavorful fruits in season around here, and it all starts with my go-to base for pretty much every coffee cake derivative that I come up with. It’s moist, it’s basic, and it’s simply the best canvas for anything coffee cake related…in my opinion.
Peaches in August are like heirloom tomatoes for me. I honestly cannot leave the stand without some of them, no matter how many are already sitting on my counter. They are just too pretty and smell too damn delicious. And so I end up with an insane amount of them that become insanely good snack bites, smoothies, and sweet treats like this little number here. And a part of the flatbread pizza with late summer, farmer stand round ups, and polenta with grilled summer veggie recipes that I have coming your way in the next week. It’s gonna be fun and simple guys, just the way I like it…
This guy today is one that you want to wake up to, and one that you want to share with friends. I promise. ENJOY!
Peach Blackberry Breakfast Cake with Sugar Crunch Topping
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 stick)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 fresh peaches, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- coarse sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 10-inch baking pan or springform pan with baking spray.
- Cream together the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until well combined.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until light and fluffy. Add in the lemon zest, flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix until just combined. Fold in the peaches and blackberries and pour batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top of the cake with large granulated sugar if desired.
- Bake for 55 minutes to an hour until the middle is set and the edges are lightly golden brown and slightly pulling away from the edges of the pan. ENJOY!